What is Monitoring Node?
Monitoring node fetches Cloudwatch metrics data from AWS. This node is similar to Add-ons in a Resource node. It helps enrich the resources data with Cloudwatch metrics data. You can use these enriched Cloudwatch metrics data in successor nodes (like Filter node, Notification node, or Reports node) to selectively retain the resources required.
- Generate report of EC2 instances' CPU utilization everyday
- Generate report of Lambda function invocations every 15 minutes
The Resource node must always precede Monitor node. Note that the attributes you input must be the same as the resource selected in the Resource node.
For Example: If you select service as EC2 and resource as Instance in Resource node, the attributes in Monitoring node must be AWS/EC2.
Working with Monitor Node
To define a Monitor node in a workflow, follow the below steps:
- On the Workflows page, click Create New Workflow.
- Click Select a workflow template or Create workflow from scratch.
- If you create a new workflow:
- Click the Monitor icon from the Tools menu.
- Double click the Monitor node to access the parameters input window.
- If you pick an existing template:
- Double click the existing Monitor node to access the parameters input window.
- Enter the required information in the parameters input window.
- Click Save Node.
Monitoring node enriches the resources data with Cloudwatch metrics data.
For example: Selecting EC2 Instances in Resource node and CPU Utilization in Monitor node enriches the EC2 instances' data with corresponding CPU Utilization data. With this, we have the data for further use. Following is a sample output when you select the Monitor node:
Upon successful execution of this node, the Monitor node collects all the corresponding metric data that can be further used for:
- Filtering metric data to take further action on specific resources.
- Generating a report (using Report node as the successor) to keep the team/peer(s) informed.
- Generating a message (using Notification node as the successor) to update the team/peer(s) about critical metric data that needs immediate attention.
For your convenience, we have populated several usage examples on how to use this node and how to set their parameters.