Monitoring Amazon EC2 Instances' State Everyday
Monitoring AWS EC2 instances' status checks regularly is essential.
There's a template already available in the web app for this use case. This workflow template automatically monitors EC2 instances' state every morning and sends a secure downloadable link to the report via email or Slack.
Please find below the information on how this template works and how you can customize it according to your needs.
How Does This Template Work?
- Trigger node initiates the workflow every day at 9am.
- Resource node fetches all EC2 instances belonging to an AWS account and AWS region.
- Report node fetches all the data filtered from Resource node, prepares a report with each EC2's InstanceId, InstanceType, LaunchTime, State, and Tags. The workflow sends an email or a Slack message to the concerned team(s) or stakeholder(s) with a secure downloadable link.
Steps to Customize this Template
- Open the template and check for all the nodes' connectivity.
- Double click on Trigger node. Add or modify the following details as per your requirement:
- Select the day of the week you want to start the workflow from the drop down menu. Example: Monday. If you want the workflow to start every morning, select all the days of the week.
- Select the time of the day, of your choice, from the drop down menu. Example: 6:00 for 6am and 21:00 for 9pm.
- Click on Save Node.
- Double click on Resource node. Add or modify the following details as per your requirement:
If you wish to pick only specific instances or attributes of instances, use Advanced Filters and Add-ons available.
- Select your AWS account from the drop down menu.
- Select the AWS region you want to pick the resources from.
- Retain the AWS Service name 'EC2' entry.
- Retain the AWS Resource name 'Instances' entry.
- Click on Save Node.
- Double click on Report node. Add or modify the following details as per your requirement:
- Retain the Passthrough selection.
- Retain the selections -- InstanceId, InstanceType, LaunchTime, State, and Tags, in the Passthrough.
- Click on Save the Workflow.
- Click on Validate the Workflow with the policy.
- Click on Run Now.